Frequently Asked Questions
We are currently compling a list of frequently asked questions. This will be available in a few weeks time. Until then, here are ten things that you probably didn't know about Joseph Priestley:
Fact File about Joseph Priestley
- He is the father of modern chemistry – physics in electricity, optics and astronomy.
- He discovered photosynthesis.
- He had a lisp
- He was the inspirer of hot air ballooning.
- He encouraged James Watt towards chemical research.
- He played a significant role in formulating the written constitutions of the United States and France because he “pioneered constitutional reform and laid emphasis on the responsibilities of governments to serve the interests of the common people.”
- He opposed Negro slavery.
- He promoted religious toleration and universal civil rights for minorities.
- He promoted peaceful intercourse amongst the nations in commerce and in scientific knowledge.
- He wrote many works on theology, which were well based on his remarkable knowledge of ancient languages.
© Priestley Society 2006
Charity No.: 1114470